Wednesday, November 2, 2011

10/25 and 10/26 Chesterfield pics

On my October vacation, I ventured out to Winterpock and Skinquarter, two small unincorporated communities in western Chesterfield County, a couple of times to take a few photos. Along the way I finally stopped to photograph the long-abandoned Winterpock Grocery, at the corner of SRs 603 (Winterpock/Beaver Bridge Rds) and 664 (Coalboro Rd). This front view was taken on 10/25 looking eastbound from Beaver Bridge.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

The paint on the store has aged well, probably due to this intersection being basically sitting in the middle of the forest, a few miles away from most of Winterpock's population. This and the next photo were both taken on 10/26.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

At the back of the abandoned store looks to have been a garage.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

From there I headed northwest towards Skinquarter and the Richmond Zoo, next to which I discovered this extremely rare white-border unisign for US 360 earlier this year. I parked at the zoo and walked about half a mile to this assembly to get some close-ups. (Yes, there's an elementary school next to it, but I need the exercise.) As you can clearly see, its glory days are behind it.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

A close-up of the unisign shows that everything was painted on, and that at some point, probably when the transition to all black-border signs occurred in the 1960s, the white was painted black.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

Looking at the waypoints sign beneath the unisign shows that, while the font for waypoints is similar, if not the same, today as it was circa 1950, the arrows back then were slightly different.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

On the second day, when I left Skinquarter I traveled across the county to Meadowville, where a new exit for I-295 for Meadowville Rd is currently being constructed. I was surprised to see that the exit is, at least for the foreseeable future, going to be a diamond. Here I was approaching the southbound traffic lights heading eastbound on Meadowville.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

At what will be the on- and off-ramp to and from I-295 southbound on eastbound Meadowville.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

Here I was approaching the northbound ramps on eastbound Meadowville.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

Looking westbound towards the interchange. The severe glare was mostly due to it being late afternoon.

From 10/25 and 10/26/11

For the next few road entries, I'm going to look back on some photo trips from earlier in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment